Sunday, July 23, 2006

65 miles to Long Beach

Met J there, and had a burrito on the beach, took in the sun, and jumped the powerful waves.

My trip there was super fast -- 2 hours 3 minutes (a good portion of that over boardwalk planks). I don't know how much was due to:
  • My new wheels
  • Greater effort or performance
  • Wind? (Didn't feel any)
  • Less traffic going down 7th Avenue (I think this saved three minutes)
Coming back, however, I didn't have much energy. Guesses:
  • Sunstroke from 4 hours in the sun
  • Much more time between lunch and the return trip - less food energy
  • Dehydration
  • Some weird music on the iPod (shuffle). I seriously wondered whether someone had been messing with my iPod, because I've never heard those songs before.
Yesterday, a mind-altering revelation! When I was at the bike shop, he replaced my bell, as the spring on the old one had broke. This new bell has a nifty globe attached, with a ball inside that seems to be floating in water - it's a compass. Headed west and the compass registered northwest; headed south and it registered southwest.

Gradually it all came together: Manhattan's on a diagonal! "West" isn't really west! "South" isn't really south!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Stormcrowe said...

So, how do you like the NYC Cycling? Any suggestions for a potential cycle tourist next year or so?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

Sure - NYC area cycling is great.

A popular route is up the hudson river bike path, across the George Washington bridge, then up the Palisades bike trail to Alpine, then continue on 9W as long as you'd like -- to Piermont, Nyack, Upper Nyack, Bear Mountain, you name it.

You'll find lots of other fun trips in the NYC area by browsing my archives.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home