Friday, August 18, 2006

20.5 morning miles past Van Cortland Park

Woke up right before the airplane I was in was about to crash, in my dream. It was a night flight, and the plane had been going suspiciously slowly and low, not even reaching the tops of the buildings it was dodging. It lacked the oomph to gain altitude. Anxiety surged through me as I realized it was the end. Then I woke up and realized I was at home.

Just around a week ago I had a similar dream, where I got some scrape on my pinky toe while visiting Donald Trump. Conveniently a doctor was nearby. He diagnosed it as four or five types of cancer combined, at least one of them being a rapidly fatal one. Another bout of anxiety and attempt to come to grips with upcoming death, before I woke up.

What is it with these dreams!

When I woke up this morning, it was early - just over 5 hours of sleep - but it's no fun to go back to sleep after an anxiety dream so I got up, did a bit of work, and headed out for the bike ride. Pretty fast ride, without much traffic. Picked up speed on the way back as a fellow on a Serotta would occasionally try to pass me and I'd pick up speed to stay ahead. Then after a while I'd get complacent and slow down and this would repeat. Two miles from home, he actually did pass me, for about 10 seconds. Kicking myself for my laziness, I pumped the pedals and surged ahead of him, keeping that pace til I got home.

6 Comments:

Blogger J.A.O. said...

thanks for visiting my blog, Tahitian Noni Blues. The beta switch by blogger has not permitted comments fom mine yet. Keep Riding, friend.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

You are my one true friend. You are the only one to comment on my blog. Even though I never visited your blog before today. I will visit it from now onward. Every day will be a Tahitian Noni Blues blog day.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Sorry I haven't commented lately. Switching jobs and that type of stuff. Anyway, how are your new wheels holding up? I looked into them and they seem to be pretty good.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the crazy dreams. What do you think is up?

The 19 sets were great, by the way. Looking forward to doing more with you tomorrow.

a

5:11 PM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

I definitely like the new wheels; the shininess may have something to do with it ;-). Nothing's broken since the wheel replacement which is a relief.

A -- it was fun working out yesterday. Hope to see you tomorrow!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Tuco said...

it's funny getting tailed / passed by someone on an obviously slower bike. Often I decide not to give a damn, and just draft them. : )

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home