Monday, September 04, 2006

13.9 miles to Riverside State Park

Stir crazy after just too little biking, I headed north on the Hudson River bike path for an afternoon Labor Day ride. Took it easy except when some fellow tried to pass me when I slowed down to avoid a gaggle of pedestrians. That wasn't fair! So once we got past the pedestrians I had to pass him, of course.

On the way back I passed a dozen geese who were fraternizing in the 60's on the grass near the water. Some kayakers were also making the most of the day.

Hours later my back started giving me real problems. So the chiro says no exercise for the upcoming week - not even swimming, which I ordinarily wouldn't be into (but gotta get that exercise somehow).

3 Comments:

Anonymous allen said...

What's the problem with swimming? I've always understood that it's very good for one's back. Is walking out, as well?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yikes, don't mess with your back or push it at all. I was really fortunate twice when I brok my back, first betwen the shoulders and then the lower three vertabrae. I'm lucky that a series of cortisone shots got the swelling reduced and the bones could heal, and there was no real damage. Take it easy, enjoy the soon to be fall, and let your body recover. Look at it as a rest period in the long term so that you can build to a new level when you're ready.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Capybaras United said...

The swimming ban confused me too. He didn't seem to have a reason for it - and did say that swimming's usually good. I think he was nervous that I might do something stupid - maybe twist the wrong way or something - and wants me to be extra careful until I'm in slightly better shape. But he might just be wrong.

Mike, two broken backs - wow. From crashes? I'm antsy to get back on the bike but know that at least long trips aren't in the cards any time soon. :-( Maybe in the winter a trip down south is in order.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home